Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Journal 7

Wake up America
            Education is the key to a successful future. America needs to wake up and realize the future of the United States lies in the hands of our youth. It really saddens me that little can be done in our educational system to ensure our children’s future. America seems to think we are invincible and still the greatest nation, but if we are behind in our education, how can that be so? Education is the heart of our success.
            When it comes to education I am somewhat passionate. I wasn’t always as passionate since I am a statistic. I dropped out of school when I was only sixteen years old. My nana was sick, my sister lived in Tallahassee, and my mom was trying to work full time and take care of my nana. So I thought it best I quit school and do my part to help out. Now, here I am at the ripe age of 34, trying to finish my education.
            The school system has certainly changed since I was in school. I have two children in public schools and I’m very fortunate that one is in a magnet school and the other had the option to attend a somewhat passing school across town. Before my kids were sent to other schools, both were in failing schools. I can honestly say that the teachers my kids had weren’t that fabulous. Most were first or second year teachers who just didn’t have the patience to deal with the students. It takes a special kind of teacher to get through to the students of today. A teacher needs to be inspiring, caring, compassionate, patient and most importantly, have the passion to really want to teach and make a difference in a child’s life. With that said, having just learned about tenure, well, that really upsets me. Something needs to be done to rid the schools of the teachers who don’t care, the teachers that are just there for a paycheck. Because at the end of the day, our children are our future and if they aren’t properly educated, America will fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment