Sunday, February 24, 2013

Journal 4

The American Dream
            What is the American Dream? As a little girl I envisioned this as having the perfect family with the perfect career living in the perfect house and not having any worries. Looking back I now realize how unrealistic my visions were. As an American, and now an adult, I realize there is so much more to living the American Dream.
            Having lived in America my entire life, I can’t imagine living in a country that will kill you for wanting to become educated. Mr. Garcia’s story really touched me. I have never really thought of the American Dream from an immigrant’s point of view. Immigrant’s leave their countries to pursue a better life. Many, like Mr. Garcia’s parents, have no choice but to send their loved ones to a foreign country to ensure a better life. As a parent myself, sending your child away for a better life is painful sacrifice.
            There are many people that have strong views of immigration, but I absolutely support anyone who comes to America looking to better themselves, as long as this person has every intention of becoming a U.S citizen. What Mr. Garcia has done with his life is truly inspiring. Having come to a new world completely blind, he managed to learn the language, educate himself, become a citizen and achieve happiness. And that is what I would call an American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment