Sunday, March 10, 2013

Journal 5

Dumpster diving has a whole new meaning to me after watching the film “Dive.” Mentally, when I hear the words dumpster diving, I automatically envision an old, dirty dumpster filled with smelly old garbage waiting to be rummaged through by homeless people and wild animals. I never would have envisioned an everyday person diving to save good food from going bad.
 I have never given any thought as to what happens to food in grocery stores when it hasn’t been sold by the “best by” or “sell by” date. I also never gave any thought as to what grocery stores do with damaged goods. Apparently, they just toss it in the trash. All of a sudden, dumpster diving has a new meaning. The film really opened my eyes as to how wasteful Americans are with food. What really caught my attention was when they stated in the film that America wastes 96 billion pounds of food a year and that waste could feed Haiti for 5 years. That to me is absolutely astonishing. It seems as though we all need to do our part in making sure good food isn’t getting wasted.    

No comments:

Post a Comment